Tuesday 24 November 2015

Meditation

Apart from Yoga, I have been dabbling in meditation. Only yesterday, I completed the mandatory 90 day cycle of a meditation I started in August. I obviously felt triumphant having to complete it but meditation is not easy. It is not easy to keep still and focus when you have an over-active mind like mine.

My cousin who also meditates says that he constantly needs to battle with the monkey mind of his which he cheekily adds is drunk and is possibly stung by a scorpion. It was hilarious when I tried to picture his description but it is true, it is incredibly impossible to still our mind. In order to meditate effectively,you need to know how to sweep aside the thoughts that are playing in your mind when you try to meditate and it can be achieved through practice.

We spend hours mindlessly surfing the channels on TV after a hard day's at work so why not meditate instead. Focus on your breathing and reach deep within yourself. It is an exhilarating feeling and I highly recommend you to do that. Meditation is not only about chanting some mantras. It is about taking some time off to reconnect yourself. Disconnect from the outer world and go inwards.

So yeah, that is what I have been busy doing and I can't say I am perfect at it but at least I am trying which is important, right? Just today, I came across an article in a magazine which states that meditation helps to alleviate loneliness which ultimately can cure depression. It also encourages mental clarity and teaches you to be present at all times (tough for a day dreamer like me)

As for me, it helped me to see things in different perspectives. I no longer lose my temper easily and I am more careful with what I say meaning I am more mindful (yeap no longer the sarcastic, Deann)

For many years, I have been giving excuses about meditating which includes not being able to focus or concentrate. I still can't 100% but at least I am trying and I am convinced with practise, I'd be a pro at it. Meditation helps with overall health and I like that because you don't sweat when you meditate..hahahaha

So do some research and find out how you would like to do it i.e with music, guided, chanting or simply sit and inhale and exhale. Just spend 20 minutes a day doing it and do it for 40 days without fail so the act gets embedded in your subconscious mind.

Trust me at the end of Day 40, you will see a new you.

Happy meditating

OM

Image from Google

No comments:

Post a Comment