Wednesday 3 February 2016

Support System

I can't believe that I have not written for more than 3 weeks. I have been busy shuttling back and forth to Hospital as my father in law was hospitalised. And alas he passed away last Friday. It was indeed a very sad day for all of us.

The image of my mother in law pining for him will forever be etched in my mind. He let out his last breath surrounded by his family. After that the day passed by quickly as we had to rush back to Melaka to start on funeral arrangements. 

As the family went through the motion, I took a step back to observe the support system that delicately carried the family through the difficult time. 

Family and friends offered cash, kind words and food without having to ask. Some sat and held our hands, some hugged us tightly as we sobbed uncontrollably and others proceeded to share funny stories of my father in law to lighten the sombre mood.Aunty N came to give my mother in law a very tight hug and offered her condolences.

My sisters; Hazel and Pippa were with my husband at the mortuary comforting him as he cried and Pippa came to Melaka to take care of Pebbles while I was by my hubby's side. My parents came over from Ipoh on the eve of the funeral to lend some moral support and even Tara came over from Kuantan to pay her last respects. I love my family!

My father in law was a popular man and was loved by many. My SIL and I together crafted an obituary to best describe him and many were happy with it. We received so many wreaths and his send off was done in military style. It was poignant and left no one with dry eyes.

I followed my hubby to the crematorium and my heart ached when I saw him kissing his dad for the last time. He has lost his dad the person he looks up to and his heart was breaking.

The next day they collected their father's ash and before they poured it into the sea, they huddled around the urn and that was another sad moment. All of us took turns to throw some flowers into the sea along with the ash and I made a silent prayer to take extra care of my in laws.

My hubby and I have decided to take a month's leave and stay in Melaka to keep his mum company. Although she is very sad and is still crying, she seems to feel contented having little Pebbles running around. I suppose the family will take time to heal as well.

Family and friends continue to join us in prayers and offering food whenever they can. Every day, my mother in law is fielding phone calls from relatives who are overseas. The calls are helping her to assuage the pain she is feeling from the loss of her partner.

These past few days have taught me how imperative it is to maintain positive relationships with people around you at all time. We will never know when we need their shoulders to lean against in moments of distress.

From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you and appreciate the love and respect shown to the family. God Bless


Rest in Peace, Uncle Indran

No comments:

Post a Comment