Thursday 5 December 2019

Holidays with my In Laws

It has been a year since I blogged! And for a person who claims she likes to write, this is definitely an oxymoron. But in my defence, I have been pretty busy on my other Social Media platforms where I channel my love for writing with witty posts. I tried thought provoking ones but decided that it's not me. So when I opened my blog this morning, I found out that I actually did not finish my piece on my trip with my in laws. So here's continuing the story...

Yeap, you read it right. I recently went on a holiday with my in laws. Without my husband and kids and I shared a room with my mother in law.

While this is a recipe for disaster for many married women out there, I on the other hand adore my mother in law and I believe we had a great time  ( I mean, I did. I did not dare to ask her if she did...hahaha)

My sister in law called me one fine day to ask if I wanted to join them for their family trip to Bali as her best friend pulled out at the last minute due to family emergency. The offer was tempting but I had just returned from a trip to Singapore with my own family and I was thinking about the children. But husband said 'Go'. In fact below was the exact conversation we had:

Me: Do u think I should go to Bali? Love that place
He: You should. Maybe you need a break from me
Me: Break from you by going for a holiday with your family? I would be the first woman to do that!
He: ok what?! That's cool

When I told a dear friend that I was going on a holiday with my in laws, she thought I was going bonkers. Honestly, I didn't think much about it because I relatively have an easy relationship with my in laws and I wanted to sort out some internal issues that I have been having for the longest time.

You see, I wasn't feeling happy. As much as I know that my happiness is my own responsibility, I was at lost on how to go about seeking it. Based on the all the books I read and all the mumbo jumbo we see on social media, it was pretty obvious that the search should start from within me.

So while I searched for myself, I found out some interesting facts about my in laws too during this trip. Most surprising one would be my sister in law's husband who is famously known for being harried and easily troubled. He was at his most zen and I thoroughly enjoyed his company. My sister in law spoke very little which is very unlike herself and my nephew was very endearing. My mother in law was her usual self; never complaining, always obliging. As her room mate, I was her designated company for the short shopping trips near the hotel and I thoroughly enjoyed her company.

AS for me, I managed to do yoga and do some meditation by the beach and also the on the hill overlooking Tanah Lot. The cool breeze was invigorating and I could feel a rush of emotions engulfing me. I took it as a detox process, a part of the purging process. I also squeezed in a small meditation session at Triti Empul which had gave out some mystical aura.

We stayed at Hard Rock Bali and I was so in love with the bed! I had the best and restful sleeps there and there was when I realised that I truly need restful sleeps. Having two kids who don't sleep through the night can be detrimental to mental health.

For those who wish to get a break or also to find oneself, I would highly recommend to go on a trip. I was fortunate to join my in laws so I didn't need to worry about food and accomodation. And I supposed it doesn't need to be somewhere fancy too. Go where your heart leads you to. I also always found comfort in listening to the waves at the beach. It's soothing and some sort melancholy, a feeling that resonates with me.

My trip with my in laws was one of the most relaxing ones I have ever had and I am truly grateful for being given the opportunity at the eleventh hour. And the fact that I have a hands on husband truly helped as I didn't worry about the kids at all, I know that they were in safe hands; big and capable hands :)

On the hindsight, if you wish to visit Bali but not sure of a suitabe itinerary, do let me know because my sister in law is fantastic in drawing up itineraries that suit your budget and interests too.

No comments:

Post a Comment