Monday 26 October 2015

Don't Pick a Job. Don't Pick a Boss. Pick a Leader!


A friend put this up in FB the other day and I thought how apt and timely was the advice. Another friend is going through a bad time at work because of her old and senile boss. She has been in the company for almost 10 years and they are screwing her up over petty issues. The company she works for is so archaic in people management.

It bugs me that people are still resorting to malicious ways to get rid of others whom they can't work with. Instead of resorting to diplomatic ways such as having coaching sessions and a sound consequence management, bosses are mentally torturing their staff to drive them away. So why do they do it? My personal view is they are being cowards. They are afraid to face the problem in the face and solve it because human interactions are so darn difficult.

When I was working in the corporate world, I often had to bend backwards to please people. Oh yeah, my company had fancy core values displayed every where in the building but nobody was practising it. My conscience was killing me every time a colleague complains about a boss but I could not do anything about it because the boss is apparently good in his work (never mind that his staff was leaving one by one) So that is one of the many reasons I left the corporate world. I knew things will get tougher as I climb the coveted corporate ladder and there would be a time where I would have to sell my soul and I hated that. Of course, it has been 4 months since I saw my 'salary' in my bank account but my mind and heart are definitely in sync and I have no remorse.

Do you know that most staff leave because of their bosses? I know many would say to just grit your teeth and work because you have the best job in the best company that offers great benefits. But come on guys, how about what you feel about working with the shady boss, what about your ambitions, goals and plans? I am pretty sure like the love of your life, there is a job just for you out there. All you have to do is to look for it.

Talking about bosses, my personal take is look for a leader and not a boss to work for. Someone who shares the same aspirations as you. Someone who can groom you to be better than him or her. That is the definition of a true leader. If you work with or for someone like that, I am sure you don't mind clocking in extra hours and also the not so great benefits. Don't sell your soul, people. Remember, you spent close to 10 hours at work every day so make it worthwhile and be happy doing it. And when you become a boss yourself, strive to be a leader.

I also believe it is imperative to be associated with a company that resonates with the principles you have in life. If you are like me, someone who places integrity, respect and teamwork as priorities in life, you should look for those qualities in the company you wish to work for too. For most people, work defines them so make sure it is something worth mentioning.

For my friend who works in that shitty hole (pardon my French) I hope things would get better for her and I hope she would someday find a job that would complement her skills and character. Remember, there is a perfect job for everyone out there!


No comments:

Post a Comment