Tuesday 13 October 2015

The Translation Musketeers

We humans are social creatures. As much as I think I am an introvert, I truly enjoy the occasional chances of meeting new and like minded people.

The translation class I was attending for two weeks ended with an exam last Saturday and I find myself missing my classmates very much. True, I dreaded every time I had to drive for almost an hour to get to class and it took me longer time to get back home simply because I don't like driving but I did find myself enjoying the classes very much. Maybe because it had to do with languages which I am falling in love with once again but I also fervently believe that it was the colourful characters the 17 of us displayed during the entire 10 days we spent together. There was never a dull moment with these ladies. It's amazing to know how we can 'click' so easily and how we can actually converse about any topics under the sun! It further reiterates that we SAHM are not boring, people (pls throw away that primitive perception of yours)

There were 3 women in the course whom I was drawn to especially for their special qualities. First is Kak Sha who sat next to me in class. At a glance, she would remind you of Queen Elinor of the Brave cartoon; poised and elegant and she speaks gently with everyone.I liked the fact that she matches her watch's straps with her outfits. It somehow made her appear to be someone who you shouldn't mess with. She always paid unwavering attention in class and also let me use her dictionaries (such a kind soul) Kak Sha is a firm believer that learning is a continuous process and has already attended a myriad of training programs since she left work a year ago. A mother of two grown ladies, she doesn't look a day older than 40 and she is already planning to pursue her studies in Social Science! (She has a degree in Physics, u guys! She said Physics made sense as compared to Chemistry and Biology. I was like 'What?!' ) And she is so tech savvy all because she wants to be able to understand the Information Age, her daughters are navigating in.I have resolved to be just like her when I grow up :P

Next is Rachel who doesn't wear a watch. I must say this because who doesn't wear a watch these days?!!! Well except Rachel and my husband, of course! A person bursting with so much energy, Rachel speaks with her hands which is they go all over the place. She becomes very animated when she is telling a story be it about her super adorable daughters or even the food served that day. She is such a delight to be with. A person who loves to talk, Rachel is also a remarkable listener. She listens to you and comments accordingly ( she has to comment, I meant that in a good way)

Finally, Zaitul. Like me she is at class very early ( before 8am, class starts at 9am) to get a good parking spot but unlike me she is a good driver. Zaitul is the quiet one but is extremely funny when she chooses to be. We have breakfast every day together and we are always talking about our kids and laughing over the silliest things. She sits in front of me and Kak Sha in class so we often discuss our exercises together. Being a victim of mental bloke, I always ask Zaitul the translation for the simplest words. She replies me with the answers but not without giving me the look which literally says 'seriously, you didn't know that?!' and that always cracks me up. She likes to read the texts aloud and feels that it is her absolute responsibility to add life to the characters in the text which is very hilarious. She knows how much I hate driving and on the day of our exam, it was raining cats and dogs and obviously yours truly was shit scared but Zaitul in her usual funny way told me to stay calm, drive slow, use the indicators and cheekily added that I should use the wipers and not my hands to wipe the windscreen! I know, she is mean but we like her :)

All three women are equally good in the translation course hence me calling them the Translation Musketeers (Remember Arthos, Porthos and Aramis? I am D'Artagnan :P )

So in the two weeks, I have not only learn a new skill which is translation and also drive alone for more than an hour (it is an achievement, guys. I HAVE to mention it), I also found some really good friends.These 3 gorgeous ladies along with the others made learning translation class all the more fun and interesting. Thank you, dears. Now the real challenge begins; keeping in touch!

Me,Rachel and Zaitul before the exam.
Zaitul thought it would tarnish her image if she did monkey faces

No comments:

Post a Comment