Wednesday 2 December 2015

A fine young lady

You know how I like to observe people and look out for their best qualities? After a long time, I found myself admiring a 15 year old girl who is none other than my hubby's cousin's kid.Technically she is my niece too.

In times where kids are now ignorant of good values, it is certainly like a breath of fresh air when I spend time with this young lady. She is pretty, smart and confident plus very grounded. She does not have a hint of smugness on her although it is apparent she is an all rounder; excellent in sports,music and academic.

What I like most about her is how attuned she is to people's needs. Simple example is when everyone is gathered at a place chit chatting, she makes sure no one is without a chair. And speaks to everyone!

My in laws are now staying with her family as my father in law needs follow up check at the hospital and unlike any teenager who would lock up himself or herself in the room, this young lady takes the effort in engaging with conversations with my in laws including my grumpy father in law. It shows what a sensitive soul, she is.

She is competitive yet plays fair and is close to her cousins. She is the oldest among the grandchildren so the rest of the kids look up to her. She is strict with them but also smothers them with much love.

I commented once to her father, what a great job he and his wife had done raising such a wonderful young lady and he simply answered that it is all her doing meaning it's an innate thing.

That makes me wonder how do you inculcate that in a child? How do I ensure Pebbles behaves the same way at 15?

My parents hardly lectured us on values but we picked them up along the journey of life.We respect the elders and offer opinions in a civil way and although we may not be brave or outspoken like nowadays kids, we had a fairly great childhood.

For a person (me) who has had self esteem issues all her life, I am amazed at how easily my niece navigates life although being imposed with burdens of being the first child of the family just like myself.Hubby as usual mentioned that sports helped her greatly in shaping her confidence and good values. I agree but I also believe she has the extra ingredient that makes her stand out from the rest of 15 year olds.

As old fashioned as I sound, I find it very imperative for a person to have respect.I firmly believe one gives and takes respect. Greeting people with a sincere heart is one of the finest quality a person can have and I am so glad my niece has that.

When you build your life on the basis of respect, you have already laid a solid foundation and the chances of going astray is very very slim.

This young niece of mine is going to go places and make a name for herself.I don't have a shadow of a doubt that she is going to lead a very contented life simply because she has it in her. As for me, as much as I am proud of the responsible and respectful young lady she has become, I am blessed that Pebbles has a role model to look up to.

I learn a lot from people I meet and mingle and from this niece of mine, I have learned to have an open heart and face life headlong.

Thank you, sweets..

No comments:

Post a Comment