Sunday 13 September 2015

Wedding Fever

I absolutely love weddings. I love watching the gorgeous brides and equally good looking grooms. I like checking out the decorations and tucking in the yummy food. Weddings are awesome. I even tear when the Thali is tied or when the rings are slipped into the fingers. Can't help it, I am a hopeless romantic.

One of the tasks I help my husband (rather eagerly) is in the wedding planning part. He is a wedding planner although an organizer would be a better name for what he actually does. If you want a point of reference on the best and affordable venue, caterer,decorator or even performers for your big day, you may reach him by contacting me. OK enough of marketing his skills :)

The both of us place much emphasis on the smooth flow of the big day like from the moment the bride and groom leave their respective residences heading to the wedding venue right up to when they leave after the wedding. We ensure there are no hiccups and the newlyweds are stress free. Not surprisingly, prior to the wedding we meet up with the bride and groom and their families to plan and discuss. More often than not, there will be some stress and tension which is totally normal.

To date, I have helped my husband close to 50 weddings and I have seen many kinds of brides and grooms. From the overzealous kind to the extremely laid back kind, I have seen it all but beneath all that what I have observed is how much effort and time were put into the one day event which undoubtedly is marked as the most important day of their lives.

Planning a wedding can be stressful but what I would like to highlight to all the soon to be newlyweds is that YOU can make it less stressful and more enjoyable and this is what I would suggest you to do:


  1. Create a vision board with your partner on your perfect wedding
  2. Always include your families in your discussion regardless if they are paying for it or not (Families are important)
  3. Be open to feedback. If you don't like their ideas, don't tell them right away. Sleep on it and chances are, you would accept their ideas wholly or better still they would accept yours :)
  4. Enlist the help of trusted friends and family members. Delegation of tasks is the key of success in making your big day perfect.
  5. Arguments with your partner and family members are inevitable. Always strive to be the better person in the situation. Hold back and take a deep breath before you retaliate. This is to avoid saying things you would regret later.
  6. Pray, meditate or do the things you like i.e exercising, window shopping, spa to keep your sanity in check.
  7. Eat healthily and drink PLENTY of water
  8. Every night before you sleep, write a list of things of 'Why you love your partner' Remember to be positive (It's all about the law of attraction)
  9. Get someone reliable to handle any crisis at home i.e not enough mango leaves or coconuts (seriously,why would anyone bother to update you about it. But they would because they are stressed out and need someone to vent out to. Don't be the victim)
  10. Research on wedding photos you would want to take and discuss with your photographer. Inform your planner so sufficient amount of time is kept aside to take these momentous photos.
I thought, I would just limit the list to 10 because knowing you if you are like me, you would have scoured the Internet on the Do's and Don'ts of planning a wedding. All I want to say is (again) Relax. A wise person said to me, a wedding is a day affair but a marriage is a lifetime affair, one should invest more time and effort in it rather than the wedding itself. True, huh?

In my opinion, what you should look forward to on the wedding day is the smile on your partner' face the moment he/she sees you for the first time in the wedding finery. The feel of your spouse's hand right after you are pronounced as man and wife. The look you give each other and silently promising that you have each others back come what may...oh those are the things you need to look forward to. At all the weddings that I have helped my husband in, I always pause to watch when the Thali is tied because my heart will tug when the bride and groom look at each other and give each other a sweet smile and I will go like 'Awww' (Told you I am a hopeless romantic)

And guys, do drop a compliment or two when your bride sits/stands next to you, I would guarantee she would flash you a beaming smile (Do you know that the price for wedding make up is exorbitant?!)And ladies, no harm in complimenting your man either. Do reassure each other constantly if the other appears to be agitated or even (God Forbid!) panicky. And please, pay attention to the master of the ceremony,the priest and be immersed in the prayers or sermons he is saying (simply because it is sacred and super important) and don't be a busybody looking out if your boss had come for your wedding, Geez!

Apart from that, be nice and appreciative of your families (immediate and extended) as they are instrumental in making this day a success and their blessings are important.

And when you finally get the wedding album, do spend some quiet time with your spouse, reminisce the wonderful day or laugh together at the (laughable) hiccups.

To those who think weddings are a hassle, think again. It can be hassle free if you tackle the preparations with an open mind and a big loving heart. And if things don't go your way on that day, take a deep breath and just remember you are marrying the person you have chosen and love with all your heart so that is what matters (not the unmatched colours of the drapes!).Lastly, always remember, all the silliest things you are fretting over now in the name of having the wedding of your dreams, they would deem unimportant a year later and you may regret making it a big deal.

So guys, Keep calm and get married! I am so excited with the line up of weddings I have this year although they are going to create a huge dent on this SAHM's pocket..lol



One of my favourite photos of our wedding. My sister in law said that it was a look signalling the beginning of the reign of a Queen Control. She is a genius

No comments:

Post a Comment