Saturday 8 August 2015

Happy Birthday Roger Federer!

The EPL season has started. When many men will be excitingly watching and analyzing the games while their spouses lament over the lack of attention, I planned to write about Roger Federer.

You see, he turned 34 years old today (8.8.2015). He is the same age as my husband and I and is also a family man. Unfortunately, the similarity ends there between the three of us.

RF has been hailed as the greatest tennis player of all time. Winner of a record 17 Grand Slam titles and a holder of many other records notably holding the world's No.1 position for about 300 weeks, this man is a force to be reckoned with. At an age where many tennis players had called it quits or nursing multiple injuries, RF is at No.2 and still playing as gloriously as ever (OK maybe only to my eyes but you can't deny the fact that he is a legend)

One stark difference RF has between us is the amount of prize money he has won (US$ 92 freaking million, Source: Wikipedia) As for us, let's just say that I know exactly how much I have in order to pay the bills next month...Sigh!

I first 'noticed' Federer during the the historic finals of Wimbledon Open 2009 in which he played against Andy Murray and I remembered distinctly that the commentator called Federer a wizard and Roddick as machine on the court and I thought he was right. RF was creating magic that day and still is.

It's simply beautiful to watch him play. He is poised and steadily consistent. I don't think I have ever watched him grunt in despair or even hit the racquet in anger like the other players.His single handed backhands are a joy to watch. In short, he oozes elegance and charisma and no wonder Rolex has him on the advertisement year after year during Wimbledon Open because RF is synonymous with the values Rolex stands for ( I wonder if I would get a Rolex watch for saying all these good things about Rolex; I love Rolex)

I don't know much about the techniques applied in tennis. My husband comments on the serves, returns and even ball toss all the time. As for me, ever since I started watching the game, a good match played preferably by Roger Federer has the same effects of a warm hug. You sigh contentedly and say 'That was a good game' after it has ended. You rejoice in their triumphs and you share their sadness in their losses. That's what tennis is for me (football?..never!)

In Wimbledon Open 2012, Federer beat Murray. The pressure was tremendous on Murray to win but the sleek and cool cat of Federer won his 7th Wimbledon Open then. In his speech, he commended Murray for a good fight and told him that he will win someday (of which he did during their next meet; the Olympics 2012). I remember reading the papers the next day and there was a caption written by Daily Mail which I wrote down.

'He did not lose because he choked. He did not lose because he moaned. He did not surrender to injury, or mislay his focus under the incredible weight of history bearing down on him Instead, he was merely a victim of being born in the same generation as the greatest player ever to grace a court' - Daily Mail on Andy Murray's defeat to Roger Federer 8/7/2012

I am lucky to stumble upon this game called tennis and to watch this amazing person create magic on the courts. Happy Birthday Roger Federer! May you continue to win more Grand Slams and entertain us with your superb display of sportsmanship.


Image from Google




No comments:

Post a Comment