Wednesday 5 August 2015

Household Chores

Washing dishes, ironing clothes and folding them; these are a few of my favourite things to do at home. I find them therapeutic. Okay,  before you cringe in fear or disgust, please allow me to elaborate further.
As the water rinses the grime away from the dirty dishes, I feel my my shoulders relaxed and I sigh contentedly. I feel that all is good and my dishes are all squeaky clean. Something as simple as water is capable of washing away all that is dirty. And I think to myself, how nice would be it be if we can wash away all the unpleasantness (be my guest in guessing what kind) with water.
Similarly, when I iron the clothes, I like the way the creases disappear as I run the iron over the clothes. If only our worries and concerns can be ironed away so our lives could be creases free. Ironing may not be many people’s favourite chore but it is mine (provided, there is a fan nearby so I don’t sweat profusely. I ABSOLUTELY hate to sweat). As a matter of fact I love ironing. I view a badly crumpled shirt as an obstacle in life and I am capable of making it all neat and crumple-less (I know, there isn’t such word) with an iron. Basically an iron is like a strong mind. When you have a strong mind, you can face any adversities in life and come out of it triumphantly.
As for folding clothes, I don’t have an analogy except, it relaxes me. When my mind is troubled, I fold all my clothes again. Maybe in a way, I view folding clothes as compartmentalizing the things in my life. As I fold the clothes, my mind is calm and I start thinking logically (who needs exercise?!). Pebbles’ clothes however, they are a different story altogether as they are so tiny and I can’t seem to arrange them neatly in her closet. Oh well, that doesn’t mean, I want her to grow up quickly and wear older kids’ clothes. She may remain as a baby and I shall still grumble about her clothes.
So there, my fixation on household chores are as such. If only I can have the same connection with cooking.
-Written on June 30, 2015-

No comments:

Post a Comment