Wednesday 5 August 2015

Unity in Diversity

It is the Eid celebrations once again and I am happy to see so many pictures of smiling people in colour coordinated clothes in my Facebook news feed for a change.
Let’s admit it, Facebook has become an important tool in bringing people closer together but it is also being used as a platform to brew hatred, anger, jealously and all the negative things you can ever imagine. That is why it was refreshing to see pictures of dear friends having a great time with their loved ones instead.
My close friend Lola invited us over to her house for lunch so as you can imagine, it took my husband and I to get ourselves and Pebbles ages to get ready for this visit. Pebbles was unusually cranky and whiny on that day and I almost watsapped Lola to say we were not coming but the goal of increasing adult interaction came to mind so I persevered and bundled up Pebbles and headed out of the house not realising that I forgot to apply powder on my face and I did not comb my hair! I also wore slippers. I must have been a great sight but polite Lola did not comment anything.
As expected, Pebbles transformed when we reached Lola’s. She became all sweet and giggly (Seriously, I think my child is the mini version of Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde) Nobody believes us when we say she is a screaming queen because she starts cooing at the mere mention of it. People do think I have become deranged to say such a thing about my sweet little cuppy cake.
It was a splendid day. We had sumptuous meal and a few other people came over. Besides Pebbles, Lola had a cute little angelic looking niece who is a month younger than Pebbles there. Both babies were on the play mat doing baby stuff when Pebbles suddenly reached out and scratched the other baby’s face. Can you imagine the horror I went through?! I even had for a split a vision of friendless Pebbles in school because she plays rough. Husband and I apologized profusely and of course the parents were too polite to say anything but ‘It’s ok’ (I am still hyperventilating as I write this)
Anyway the baby calmed down and braved herself to be in the same vicinity as Pebbles who by now decided to explore the house with a lot of knick knacks. Husband dutifully followed her around to ensure she doesn’t break anything more than hurt herself :) (Our child is pretty sturdy)
Another child came along with her parents and we realized what an interesting bunch of multiracial people we made. The hosts were Malays (obviously) I am an Indian, and there were two Chinese families and there we were talking and enjoying each other’s company.
It made me realize how essential interdependence is in our society. People of all walks of life are highly capable of living amongst each other as long as we respect one another. It’s simple as that. Respect is the key ingredient in living harmoniously with one another.
Now I have to instil that value in my child perhaps after I cut her nails really short! Sigh
Togetherness
image from Google
-Written on July 18, 2015-

No comments:

Post a Comment