Thursday 20 August 2015

It's all in your mind

That's my husband's favourite mantra. And it is sooo true.My simple and down to earth husband who preaches sports is the way of life (not Yoga) firmly believes that whatever you do, it's controlled by your mind. I totally agree with him except when he says 'Darling, it's all in your mind' whenever I complain of period cramps (that is when I feel like murdering him. What does he know about period cramps, heh?)

That aside,my biggest fear in life is losing my mind. I am so 'attached' to my thought processes that I am afraid I would literally die if I lose my mind. I know technically, I would not know that I have lost my mind when I do because I have lost my marbles, right? (have you guys given up on me, already?)

Being an avid reader, I am familiar with the contents of books such as Law of Attraction by Michael J. Losier, Secret by Rhonda Bryne, Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki and the likes. The main message in these books was to set a positive intention and focus on your goals.

In the beginning, I was reading all these lines and understanding the concept on a superficial level. I understood the context, felt empowered but never practiced it until I became a SAHM and had all the time in the world to do some reflection. (between changing diapers, feeding and cleaning up the mess after Pebbles. Did I actually say I have time?)

Well, last week, I had the chance to attend a program (I promise, I would write more about it soon) which reinforced the idea of conditioning your mind to be a powerful tool and attract the good things you want in life such as a healthy life, a big home, travel around the world and whatever you want. I studied Science in the university so naturally my curiosity was piqued when scientific terms were used such as Reticular Activating System (RAS) and Amygdala. 

RAS is like your Google Search. For an instance, you are pregnant and obviously you would be craving for some yummy desserts (for me it was the chocolates) RAS will automatically 'find' the database for you where you would miraculously find desserts shops wherever you go! (How cool is that?) Therefore it is imperative to constantly emphasize the good points instead of bad ones. Like when you say 'Don't eat the newspaper, Pebbles!' in her curious cute little brain, she would only register to 'eat the newspaper' (By the way, it's a true story. Pebbles loves to eat the newspapers!) So yeah, say the positive things and mean it, peeps.

Amygdala on the other hand is your Alarm system that makes you doubt yourself (No guys, you can't surgically remove it, unfortunately) Let's say you want to go bungee jumping with your friends. Although you seemed all psyched up, you may have this nagging thought in your head which might say something like this ' You wont do it, you are afraid of heights remember. The safety equipment is not 100% safe. People have died during bungee jumping. You could die too' Sorry for sounding morbid but that's what the Amygdala does and it is superbly good at it.Moral of the story, don't pay too much heed to Mr.A

Since I have been thinking about conditioning the mind, my RAS had cleverly 'introduced' me to the founder of Isha Kriya, the famous Sadhguru. My husband's uncle gave me this DVD of Sadhguru's teachings in April and only today I watched it. Even Sadhguru had emphasized on the power of the mind and the magnificent things it is capable of doing. I loved it when he said 'There is no superhuman. Being a human is super' Deep!

So there, as of now I am an advocate of mind conditioning. You want good things in life, think of the good things only and believe in them, you will get them. Tell that the Amygdala of yours to 'Zip it!' And practice, practice, practice so the neurons in your brain stay active. After all, practice makes perfect

The mind is a powerful tool so use it POSITIVELY just like how my hubby says, 'It's all in your mind, darling'


Image from Google

Nurture that Neurons of yours

No comments:

Post a Comment