Wednesday 5 August 2015

Young Minds

My husband was a Physical Education teacher in a private school and understandably he was one of the popular teachers in school. He left to do his own business about 3 years ago but still kept in touch with the students. They even created a Watsapp group with his name as the group’s name; he’s that loved.
Anyway the kids (I call them kids because seriously, they are) have completed high school and are about to pursue their education overseas. So hubby wanted to have a small party for them at home.
We cooked dinner, okay he cooked. We have a deal. I cut, he cooks and I clean. We cleaned  the house and the kids came over. I had an image in my head where I would end up cleaning the mess after dinner, the kids would be talking uninteresting topics and I would be in bed by 11pm but lo and behold the very opposite happened.
I had so much of fun! The kids devoured the food really fast like some little piranhas. They also finished two crates of beers and two bottles of liquor.But they also cleaned up and they played with little Pebbles. She was absolutely besotted with one of them as he was quite cute looking.
We spoke about a lot of things and it was interesting to see how their young minds work. They appeared to be very confident about themselves and also knew what they want to do in the future. On a lighter note, they taught both me and my hubby how to play some interesting ‘drinking’ games.
It occurred to me, how self-absorbed we both have been since we had Pebbles. We do go out once in a while but we always spoke about Pebbles and most of the time, we would be gazing at Pebbles’ pictures on our phones. We rarely mingled with other people and I realized how much I missed adult interactions.
The dinner also reiterated the fact that I should not judge a book by its cover. Our dinner guests were fun-loving, extremely funny, talented and interesting young adults and it makes me proud that they look up to my husband.
Party ended at 4am but it was a success and I was happy. We three were.
-Written on June 27, 2015-

No comments:

Post a Comment