Friday 28 August 2015

Sehati Sejiwa dengan Geng Senyum Sokmo

When people ask me where I am from, I'll take a while to answer them simply because I was born in Ipoh, spent 17 years in Kuala Terengganu, went back to Ipoh to pursue my Form 6 studies and then came to Kuala Lumpur for university and stayed on.

So I tell them that I am from K.T simply because I spent most (and the best) years there (I am in the 14th year in KL) However my parents left Kuala Terengganu 10 years ago and settled in Ipoh so I have not been back in KT for 10 long years therefore when I tell people that I am from KT, they ask if my parents are there, I say 'No, they are in Ipoh' and they get confused. OK that is my personal conflict (of which I would eventually solve) but what I would like to highlight is when I tell people that I am from KT, their eyes just get so big (much to my amusement) and they would ask me this 'How was it like growing up there?' to which I would reply very happily, 'Great! I loved it there. Best place in the world to spend your childhood' (Terengganu state should hire me to do their marketing for tourism)

My sisters and I grew up in the quaint (not anymore) KT town where there is no cinema and huge shopping malls but we were very happy. I used to get miffed when the next question people ask is 'Aren't they fanatic or something there?' to which I would vehemently say 'No' and add rather cheekily that KT people are far more friendly and accommodating than those in KL and Ipoh (hah, take that!) I am not denying that we were not subjected to racial slur. We were but they were of childish nature and we were matured enough to brush it aside instead of making a huge deal about it. When friends inadvertently used the wrong Tamil terms such as 'Nande' for 'Pottu' we patiently explain to them that the dot on the forehead is called Pottu. Nande is crab in Tamil to which they would apologize profusely and then laugh it off. So yeah, that was the environment I grew up in; chilled, laid back and easy going.

When the term One Malaysia came about I couldn't help but feel proud that my friends and I are living examples of that slogan. In every chapter of my life (of which, I have cleverly divided according to the states I have lived and living in) I always have close friends of different races. I didn't choose to, it just happened and I am so glad it did. Reflecting back, if I did not have the awesome childhood I had in the quaint and so called fanatic town, I would not be a tolerant Malaysian, I am today.

A few days ago, my friends and I met up. We share over 21 years of friendship. Although we no longer live in KT (but their parents do) we bond so nicely simply because we share the amazing memories of growing up and schooling in KT. Thanks to technology, we keep in touch via Wats App, our group is aptly called 'Senyum Sokmo' and via FB. We try to meet up as often as we can and surprisingly, although we are doing different things now and have our own lives, whenever we meet, we could just pick up where we left the last time we met and chat the night away. Sometimes we would find ourselves laughing out loud to the point of snorting (for no reason) and that is when we feel we are magically transported to the days we were young and carefree.

It is amazing to know how a group of different people can just click like that. I strongly believe it is the love, respect, trust and care we have for each other that have sustained us for so many years and will sustain for the years to come. In this 21 years of friendship we have celebrated triumphs and shared defeats. We had shed tears of joy and sadness and most importantly we have shared and still sharing the mutual love we have for each other.

So if anyone wants to learn the concept of One Malaysia, all you have to do is to contact me because I would then introduce you to these incredible human beings whom I proudly call as my buddies:

Nadine: The world's sweetest person. She taught me to be selfless when she used to share her Nutella sandwiches with us in school. Mind you, she is a Nutella freak and her mother only packs her two slices of those yummy sandwiches

Madiha: The super poised and elegant person.She showed me how to be cool, calm and collected under any circumstances and is always willing to lend an ear or shoulder to anyone who needs it.

Ongy: My number one role model in motherhood. She has 3 kids under the age of 6 and she always appears to be unruffled and is a perfect example of one can still have fun even if you are a mother. I am so glad I have her in my life!On a more serious note, she has taught me to never give up

Sagun: The group's live wire and a person who will defend her friends no matter what. She taught me about loyalty

Sarah: Her giggles make me feel warm inside and throughout out the years I know her, she has taught me the importance of being compromising and accommodating.

In a nutshell, in order to live happily in Malaysia the qualities my friends have are crucial to practise. I am so glad I have them in my life and feel blessed to know that our children would share the same bond too.

The theme for Malaysia's 58th birthday is 'Sehati Sejiwa'. The theme resonates strongly with the friendship I share with this 'Senyum Sokmo' gang, we are indeed of One Heart, One Soul.

Love you girls to the moon and back.


The Senyum Sokmo Gang



1 comment:

  1. Nobody could've told it better. Kuala T'ganu and it's people have not changed one bit. We have tall buildings today, but deep down we're still like the East Coast Breeze... cool, laid back and easy going....

    ReplyDelete