Tuesday 25 August 2015

No Arms, No Legs, No Worries!

That's the title of Nick Vujicic's DVD for young people of which I have added to my 'Must Watch List'.

I 'came' across Nick years ago during a program in the office when a trainer aired his video. I saw a limbless young man with an ear piece talking to a group of youngsters. He was funny and upbeat but his message of living life to the fullest and never limiting ourselves moved us to tears (I was sobbing so hard, thank god I had tissues to wipe away the snot).

You know how things happen for a reason? Well just over two weeks ago, I attended another training (I am a sucker for training programs) and the same video was shown. While this time, I could control my tears (OK I did shed a tear or two, I am after all a sensitive pooh), I focused on really understanding his inspiring message. Here we have in modern times, among us a remarkable individual who never let his condition to be a hindrance in life. Instead he saw it as a blessing to achieve so many milestones (do you know he can drive?) and has chosen to share his inspiring stories by becoming a prolific motivational speaker.

Just yesterday,as I spent some (OK, a lot) of time surfing the channels on TV, a show of Nick was on. This time it showed his gorgeous wife and adorable son (they are expecting another one now) It looked like a typical family of three just like me, my husband and Pebbles. I watched Nick as a whole person in fact he is and he is perfect. The joy, love and appreciation he emanates towards God, his family and friends are obvious. 'Coming' across him again had nudged me to write about him and spread his goodness to my fellow readers.

In the show, there was a scene where he was about to take a shower and he actually removed his T-shirt without any help! Next, he shampooed his hair by squirting some shampoo on his head and proceeded to rub his head against the wall. My heart swelled with pride (I am a mother now, I can easily 'swell with pride') Being able to shower by himself is an achievement he is proud of. The beauty here is Nick takes the effort and time to appreciate the little things we 'limbed' people take for granted. 

Nick loves the water. Although he would not be able to swim like Michael Phelps, he can be underwater for 4 whole minutes because the oxygen in his body does not need to be pumped to his arms and legs. He finds that cool and so do I. He can also play golf and even goes fishing!

The message here is, Nick may have the world's most supportive and loving family as well as friends but if he did not have the willpower to do what he wanted, he would have been a vegetable. Reflect this guys, how many of us spend the hours away wishing for better things in life so we would be happier? It is about time we appreciate the things we have in life and strive to do the very best. In my opinion, if the brain is the most powerful tool, then Nick's whole body is filled with brains. I don't have anything but deep respect for this extraordinary human being. 

For those who are reading this, I really hope you would be able to check out and share his simple yet powerful videos with your family especially the younger kids (I can't wait to show them to Pebbles)

Nick has a knack of making you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I can't wait to see him in person and give him a bear hug. I am sure Pebbles would love to shower him with sloppy kisses on his handsome face.


What a gorgeous sight?
Nick with his son, Kiyoshi
Image from Google


No comments:

Post a Comment