Thursday 6 August 2015

Yogability

Being an Indian, I felt very responsible to take up Yoga and be an advocate. You know it being originated from India and all, I thought I should be preaching the goodness of Yoga.

I have always toyed with the idea of taking up Yoga but I just didn't have the time, OK I admit it... I was just being pure lazy and I didn't have the guts to pursue it.

My good friend, Lola is a Yoga practitioner and she is so petite and svelte. We have been friends for like 7 years but although she talks about it, I never had the urge to sign up for a class right away. Even pictures of friends and their limb twisting poses didn't entice me. My mind changed after my sister-in-law took up Yoga. At first she was complaining about how her body ached all over after each session and I remember her lamenting about upcoming classes.

But when I went back to Melaka one weekend, there she was looking all transformed. She looked way much slimmer and most importantly healthier and happier and there she was yapping about Yoga and how it made her life better. Finally my brains revved its engine and I made the resolution to take up classes myself, now that I am home and I don't move much.

I had the contact number of a Yoga instructor with me for a while before I made the call and I was very encouraged when she patiently explained about Yoga and what is it all about and calmed my fears about not being able to attempt some poses. 'What's important is you need to feel comfortable' she said. I eagerly waited for the first class. In the meantime, I managed to convince my youngest sister, Pippa to join the class on pretext of some bonding time. The actual truth is, I needed company badly and I was shy to go alone. (Yes, I am a very shy person, I swear!)

Our first class was last Friday night and it lasted for 90 minutes. The instructor was very kind to us and yours truly obviously couldn't do much.My evil sister had to re-enact my feeble attempts to do some poses in front of my husband later that night much to his amusement.

I did feel sore but good after all the breathing and relaxation techniques. I went for another session on Tuesday which was a bit more strenuous and I thought I was going to die. All in all, they were two really good sessions and I am looking forward to attending tomorrow's class. By the way, there is a 71-year-old lady in class and she is soooooo flexible!


We are going to spend a lot of time together, yoga mat :)

I may not lose weight by practicing Yoga simply because my fats are really stubborn with a capital S but I am sure I am going to be healthier because 'Yoga is a way of Life' (in a monotone voice) 

If only my sister in law had taken up Yoga sooner, I would have followed suit! But thanks for the inspiration :)

No comments:

Post a Comment